Digital Imagery Discussions

This is all content created for smaller discussion post work compared to the larger projects of this course.

discussion-3-alice

I created this crazy colorful Alice and Wonderland image. I really liked the opaque quality the flower brushes, and this particular flower was my favorite brush for this. The vibrancy of the brushes gave me the inspiration to make the Alice and Wonderland image.

I started by finding an illustrated image of Alice, which I found through a free clipart site. Originally there is a table next to her, which I selected with the quick selection tool and removed. I then gave her the blue to pink gradient (selecting her by control-clicking on the layer preview in the panel so it selects all of her) so she would stand out against the black without it just being white.

I took the brushes we made in class of the flowers and went into the presets to add the Color Dynamics. I adjusted it so Hue Jitter was at 100% and reduced brightness jitter to 25% so the flowers would remain consistently bright but change colors. I then created the flower frames by single clicking and reducing the size of the brush every step up. I made a second brush through selecting the flower, creating a copy and transforming it to be the mirror image of the original to make the right side of the frame, and I know there are multiple ways I could have done the second side.

Finally added the text, using a Disney-esque font I have. Converted the text to a smart object and then rasterized it (I originally just rasterized it but it pixelated the font too much). Then added the same gradient that Alice has, but at a diagonal instead on the straight vertical.


disc-4

I used an image from my graduation photos for this project. I start with using adjustments. I started with a levels adjustment to bring in the darker end of the spectrum and gain some contrast that’s lacking in the original image. I also use the curves adjustment to help the contrast (if you create an S curve in the curves, it helps with contrast) my S-curve is very very slight, and mostly on the dark end since the photo is so washed out originally. The curves helped make the brick pop more. I finally added a Brightness/Contrast adjustment to get some brightness back in my face, also very slight. I like to use a combination of adjustments when editing because combos can make great filtering looks.

I used the spot healing tool and a lot of patience to remove the lettering and logo from my sweater. I used spot healing because the creases and shadows made it harder to use a patch tool and I knew if I was careful enough spot healing would be efficient.

Lastly, I dodged and burned my eyes so they pop more. It’s one of my favorite tricks. You dodge the whites of the eyes and burn the pupils, and depending on the color of your eye you could dodge and burn the color as well, but I choose not to because my eyes are already so light in color. This really makes the eyes pop and stand out and looks great for portraits (I recommend trying it personally). You will need to make adjustments in the tool panel when dodging though so it’s not too aggressively lightened, cause then you get crazy eyes.


disc-5

I wanted to keep this close to what I actually use for my branding, but played with different fonts and the character styles. The name font is called Dehangster. I changed the leading to be farther apart than the Auto has it set. I also increased the tracking. The M and the A are also a larger point size than the rest of the name.

The tagline is a font called Audrey. I made the tracking match the tracking with the name. I also changed the kerning with the commas so they wouldn’t overlap with the letters, which the font normal does. I added the paint because it’s part of my branding and cause why not.


postcard

For my postcard, I did Portland, Oregon. I started with the deer sign on the bottom right, which is one of the first landmarks you see entering the city. I used it to choose the background and accent colors.

I chose a bolder font for the word Portland, in this case Anton, to the images show up better in the clipping mask. I then warped the text to Rise, so it would curve as it does. After I added all of the clipping mask images, I added a drop shadow to Portland to give it a 3D look.

Each image is related to a well-known piece of Portland, such as donuts from VooDoo Donuts, Dutch Bros. Coffee which was founded in Oregon, Roses for the City of Roses, Mount Hood, a famous directional sign in Downtown Portland, a waterfall in the Japanese Gardens, an air tram, and a Tiger from the Oregon Zoo.

I added a texture to the background to add a little more interest and put a border with the accent yellow color using Stroke. I also added the “Greetings From” in a style font to mimic the deer sign and used the same yellow color. Lastly, to give it a little more of a vintage feel, I added an adjustment layer Hue/Saturation and changed it to the Sepia reset, and lowered the opacity to 20% to be a subtle distressing.


name-clip-mask

For my name image, since I have a longer name, finding an image of myself that would fit nicely was a little difficult. I ended up using one of my graduation photos form my Bachelor’s because I was centered and it would fill my name nicely. I again used Anton font so it would show more of the image when clipped.

Advertisements